Wednesday, September 20, 2000

Albany to Boston to Rhode Island

Albany Skyline
Albany Skyline

What a day! Ate my breakfast, then headed to the train station to wait for my train. I waited about three hours and read some before boarding my train for Boston. It was a pretty long ride from Albany to Boston. I sat next  to a guy who was headed to Beantown to visit his son. He had come all the way from Minnesota.

Finally we arrived in Boston and I left South Station and hit the streets totally lost. Finally, while looking like a total tourist, I pulled out my map and got my bearings. Rather than take the subway, I walked to the hostel straight down Boylston Street and past some fancy stores. When I arrived at the hostel it was booked solid. In addition, all the hotels in town and as far as Cape Cod were booked. I went to the YMCA, but they were full as well. I wasn't sure what to do  so I walked back to the train station, passing Fenway Park along the way. It felt pretty amazing to be so close to that old, famous stadium. Inside the Sox were playing the Indians.

Eventually, I made it back to the train station and was starving. I hadn't eaten anything since breakfast. I got some food at McDonald's and tried to devise a plan of action. I thought about just going home, but no trains left for Philadelphia until the next morning. I also thought about just hanging around the train station all night, but it closes at 3 am. While eating, I overheard a guy say that he was staying in Providence, Rhode Island. I decided to take a train to South Attleboro, Massachusetts. This is the closest stop to Providence that the train still goes to this late.

At 11:15 pm my train left South Station. By about 1 am I was in South Attleboro. At 1:15 I crossed into Rhode Island for my first time. Once again my first foray into a new state was on foot. I walked around Pawtucket and decided to try to make it to the beach by dawn. Eventually I found myself in East Providence. At 3 am a police officer pulled over and questioned me. I told him my story and he directed me to a cheap hotel: the New Yorker. My room was fairly clean until I saw the bathroom. I didn't care though, I was too tired. That room ended up costing me $65.

No comments:

Post a Comment